No Use Crying Over Spilled Milk
![]() |
| http://www.stickycomics.com/wp-content/uploads/spilled_milk.jpg |
Everyone has their thing. That one thing they wish they could change about themselves. And while I'm no expert in assuming people as a whole, you'd have to be pretty self-confident (or self-absorbed) to not have one tiny smidget about yourself that you'd like to get over. Whether it's a bad habit (like biting your nails or sucking your thumb), an irrational fear of something (such as germs, unicycles, and ladybugs; no offense to anyone who's actually afraid of any of these), or whatever, human's tend to acknowledge the fact that we are not perfect, and being as we aren't, we tend to search for these imperfection in the attempt to correct ourselves or at least try to keep them to a minimal encounter.
Mine, while I do have more than one (hey, I am only human here), has always been my clumsiness. People from my childhood used to joke that I didn't learn to walk right or something. I ran into walls numerous times as a child (and sadly, kinda still do on occasion... *Teehee*). I've fall down different sets of stairs 5 times only within the last 5-6 years. I fell up the stairs (people who have shared this pain can really grasp this concept) on my graduation day and sprained my ring finger. It swelled and within a day was almost completely purple on the palm side. Within a week or so, it was back to normal, and while it's a little stiff, it's pretty much healed.
Almost every year since fifth grade I had the pleasure (oh, yeah, so fun! :P) of becoming reacquainted with the crutches. While some thought I'd enjoy the uniqueness of them, I hated the chaffing they did to my poor underarms. I wrapped those things in bandages and covered them with cushion but it did no good.
And while not all of the aftermath of my clumsiness resulted in injury (such as today when I literally knocked a bowl full of cereal and milk into my lap), more likely than none, it did. The hardest part of it though wasn't the physical injury. It was psychological trauma that came with it. I know some might think I'm exaggerating but for a girl as independent as myself having to ask for help just to get a drink of water or to get the zipper on the back of a dress, it was embarrassing. I thank the Lord for compassionate people during these times, especially my mom, because believe me, not everyone is that way. While nothing is more frustrating that seeing someone's face of pity when your in that much pain, the harder faces is from the ones who have no heart. I don't know how many times people would laugh at the fact that clumsy little me hurt herself again, like it was some sick gag. Or worse those who looked at me like, "Why should I feel sorry for you? You do this every year... I bet you do it on purpose to get attention."
You'd think that there would be fewer numbers of these kinds of people, but when you went to a school or lived in an area where people really just don't care about anyone but themselves, jerks like these exist by the hundreds. The worst was the time I tore a tendon in the bottom of my left foot and had to commute to class by wheelchair. As if that wasn't degrading enough, a girl had to add, "My mom is paralyzed in her leg but she still uses crutches. She's used them for years; so why do you deserve a wheelchair?" I played it off like it was just another stupid statement from a clueless person, but those types of things don't leave your mind.
Teens, I know you go through a lot. Believe me; take it from one herself: life is not easy for us. But there is nothing, not a single thing that has ever happened to you or to me that justifies us treating others like they are worthless and meaningless. There is no justification for it regardless of what a court, therapist, counselor, teacher, parent, or friend may say. Even if you are defending yourself (or think you are), words can rip through the heart better and deeper than any knife or bullet. So be careful how you use them.
~Brushfire1412
Mine, while I do have more than one (hey, I am only human here), has always been my clumsiness. People from my childhood used to joke that I didn't learn to walk right or something. I ran into walls numerous times as a child (and sadly, kinda still do on occasion... *Teehee*). I've fall down different sets of stairs 5 times only within the last 5-6 years. I fell up the stairs (people who have shared this pain can really grasp this concept) on my graduation day and sprained my ring finger. It swelled and within a day was almost completely purple on the palm side. Within a week or so, it was back to normal, and while it's a little stiff, it's pretty much healed.
Almost every year since fifth grade I had the pleasure (oh, yeah, so fun! :P) of becoming reacquainted with the crutches. While some thought I'd enjoy the uniqueness of them, I hated the chaffing they did to my poor underarms. I wrapped those things in bandages and covered them with cushion but it did no good.
And while not all of the aftermath of my clumsiness resulted in injury (such as today when I literally knocked a bowl full of cereal and milk into my lap), more likely than none, it did. The hardest part of it though wasn't the physical injury. It was psychological trauma that came with it. I know some might think I'm exaggerating but for a girl as independent as myself having to ask for help just to get a drink of water or to get the zipper on the back of a dress, it was embarrassing. I thank the Lord for compassionate people during these times, especially my mom, because believe me, not everyone is that way. While nothing is more frustrating that seeing someone's face of pity when your in that much pain, the harder faces is from the ones who have no heart. I don't know how many times people would laugh at the fact that clumsy little me hurt herself again, like it was some sick gag. Or worse those who looked at me like, "Why should I feel sorry for you? You do this every year... I bet you do it on purpose to get attention."
You'd think that there would be fewer numbers of these kinds of people, but when you went to a school or lived in an area where people really just don't care about anyone but themselves, jerks like these exist by the hundreds. The worst was the time I tore a tendon in the bottom of my left foot and had to commute to class by wheelchair. As if that wasn't degrading enough, a girl had to add, "My mom is paralyzed in her leg but she still uses crutches. She's used them for years; so why do you deserve a wheelchair?" I played it off like it was just another stupid statement from a clueless person, but those types of things don't leave your mind.
Teens, I know you go through a lot. Believe me; take it from one herself: life is not easy for us. But there is nothing, not a single thing that has ever happened to you or to me that justifies us treating others like they are worthless and meaningless. There is no justification for it regardless of what a court, therapist, counselor, teacher, parent, or friend may say. Even if you are defending yourself (or think you are), words can rip through the heart better and deeper than any knife or bullet. So be careful how you use them.
~Brushfire1412

No comments:
Post a Comment