Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Thrifty Cheapskate

The Thrifty Cheapskate

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhbF_Cm-1fGutDF1vNSYLxpXJm2sq5xi-7KCrZPZ9Bx0W5KQPt9D5B1mtA0wxgPYfovQ0TgtiT9a-UwiLAS4_NcXhABbvGHbxUXBJC5XP2-tv8KUt5L9BsqinO-wt3aomQqk7LZNdhLirkg/s1600/dollarsigns.jpg
Everyone has their hobbies from sports to drawing to collecting priceless (some more priceless than others -_-;) objects, but one of my guilty pleasures in life when the chance is right is (drum-roll please): thrift store shopping. While others go to department stores and fancy mall hotspots bragging names like Aeropostale, American Eagle Outfitters, and such, I go to second-hand stores, swap meets, consignment boutiques, and just plain Ma and Pop thrift stores. The one I went to continuously, back when California was my home, was one that donated the money to a homeless community cupboard. I loved that store because one, I got great stuff at cheap prices, and two, I was helping out a good cause at the same time.
It became widely known of my love of secondhand items within my circle of friends to the point that anytime someone complimented my clothing choice, another would add, jokingly, "Let me guess... you got it from the thrift store."
Ironically, most of the time, the joke reined true. Everything from my prom dress (a David's Bridal: Michelangelo Special Edition dress in a silvery blue color which I got for: $1.00)
The Prom Dress in Question
 to my VCR player (Which I got for: $12.50) came from thrift stores. I even got a possible reception dress for my own dream wedding for only $12.50. If it weren't for the reason that I want to pick an actual new dress, fitting my own personality for my ceremony, that this dress could have been my wedding dress because of its gently used quality (I doubt it was used more than once). And I personally thought it was as pretty as my own sister's gown on her big day. 
I could even see myself someday when I'm much older and retired, maybe volunteering (or working, I guess) in a thrift store. I wouldn't want to own one because of all the taxes, paperwork, and basic interference from the great ol' Uncle Sam, but actually working in one and seeing how someone's past junk becomes another's treasure would be fun. I know it's not realistic now to work for one in the thought of making ends meet. But who knows; when supporting myself isn't as much of an issue someday, I might have my fun at seeing what comes and leaves through those doors.
So I wonder if anyone else has the same guilty pleasure as myself, and also, I must address that I am greatly impressed by Tennessee's constant thrift store siting. In Cali, you had to Google some of these babies, but Tennessee, you turn onto any street with shops and there seems to be one somewhere. I've seen 5-6 just within a 5-mile radius once I got into town. I can't wait to explore this part of Tennessee and hope that I can find even more the longer I'm here.
Also, believe me when I say that if there is a thrift store to be found, I shall find it. On a cruise vacation for my sixteenth birthday, we went to Catalina, and I still managed to find one thrift store behind all the tourist traps and residential area. So if anyone's to find these specialty stores, it will be moi. ;) 
Happy, shopping to all that love the art that it actually is (lol) and just don't spend yourselves out of house and home.
~Brushfire1412

No comments:

Post a Comment