Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Weddings, Weddings, WEDDINGS!!!

Weddings, Weddings, WEDDINGS!!!

Whether you're a fan of the movies based off Meg Cabot's The Princess Diaries series, Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series, or of 27 Dresses starring Katherine Heigl, you must acknowledge the resourcefulness of each of the weddings in these films. From the dresses to the flowers to the choice of scenery, I fell in love with the way these movies developed a beautiful ceremony. Even though, I'm not a personal fan of the Twilight books or movies, I really liked the dress Bella Swan wore and was delighted further when my favorite bridal store started selling the dress as well as many themed dresses after the movie franchise (for more info, check out the Alfred Angelo website).

I have always been a fan of Alfred Angelo's gowns since the day my sister wore one of his gowns and all the bridesmaids (include myself) wore one of his bridesmaids gowns. While the dresses themselves were simple in design, they were elegant, and from that day one I fell in love with the idea of wearing one of these gowns myself on my special day. The discovery of the Romantic Vampire themed gowns (mainly prom dresses, I will add) came to me with mixed emotion. I liked the gown from the movie, but I've never been a fan of vampire movies or those of a similar Gothic nature. These types of movie with depressing, dark themes have always reminded me of the dark ages of humanity, and while a Tim Burton movie is cool to watch or a vampire costume is always fun to wear at Halloween, I don't always agree with such gloom settings being present at the happiest day of a woman's life (though I do respect that the interpretation of said "happiness" is in the eyes of the girl, not the beholder). That was till I saw it. 
        "It" was style #: 4035 of the Alfred Angelo collection: a strapless, sweetheart neckline, ballgown adorned with embroidery, metallic accents, and sequins giving it the look of feathers. Seeing as it was part of their prom collection, I started to picture some of my friends in it (since my prom has came and gone) and then I started to consider, what if someday I used something like this gorgeous dress as a bridesmaids dress. Then the prospect of the Vampire inspired wedding apparel didn't seem quite as dark. So I then started collaborating other gowns, flowers, and themes around its color to come up with a cohesive theme. While tea rose, light pink, and pink lace aren't always a popular color for, say, the grooms' side of a wedding, it did make me smile and remember the days when pink was my favorite color, princesses were still in fashion (dress-up-wise), and I wanted to be a ballerina. Obviously, times have changed since then but it did make me giddy thinking of how my younger self would've loved my grown-up counterpart having a pink wedding.
          Now don't misunderstand me. I'm not the next girl from "Bridezillas" or the next "Wedding Planner" ("You saved... my shoe..." Jennifer Lopez proclaims.) who has her wedding planned to the par before she's even engaged (which I am not), but I've always been a planner in liking to get some basic ideas down ahead of schedule to lower stress. It's why I buy my prepaid cell phone airtime cards a month before they expire, buy twice as much party supplies than I need before the birthday, and am constantly doing a head count of my finances before and after I make a transaction. I like to stay on top of things, and knowing that I can sigh in relief at having a few stressful details out of the way is a big help, considering I've made myself sick from stressing out too much. Also since I can be rather indecisive when put on the spot, this helps give the people around me a little less of a challenge reading my confusing mind. 
And while there is no guarantee, even now, that a dress like this will be included in my future groom's and my special day, dreams, like brush fires, spread much farther than conscious thought limits. One spark can start a blaze, just as one idea as simple as a dress can create a vision. Someday I may walk down that aisle "pretty in pink" or I may not, but the excitement of inspiration is what makes this day so much fun to imagine planning, and once it does come, I can only hope that God wills it to be whatever he wills it to be. I also hope that not only will He allow my love and I to have the day of our dreams, but also every bride out there. Happy planning, girls, and don't become Bridezillas, okay?
~Brushfire1412

Photo URLs in order from 27 Dresses photo to Alfred Angelo dress:

No comments:

Post a Comment